The Alternative Universe
Exposure to Alternative Assets serves as a useful diversifier from traditional asset classes and offers access to unique return opportunities.
Alternative assets expand the investment menu beyond traditional liquid implementations of mainstream asset classes such as stocks and bonds. Relative to mainstream investments, alternative investments typically have less liquidity, more complexity and higher investment manager fees. Our alternative asset universe includes hedge funds, private equity, private credit, infrastructure and property.
We create bespoke alternatives allocations that either complement existing allocations or form a complete investment program. Our process involves:
- Defining strategy – identifying the alternative asset classes to be included their allocations
- Sourcing and researching investment opportunities
When implementing an alternative asset program, we use one or all of the following:
- Third party funds – we seek appropriate fit to the investment objective at a reasonable cost
- Secondary opportunities – the secondary market in limited partnerships can be an attractive way of gaining quick exposure to an asset class (and to multiple vintage years)
- Custom fund-of-funds – we create a bespoke fund of multiple managers to meet specific requirements
- Co-investment opportunities – SECOR’s extensive network facilitates access to attractive deals across asset classes